Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Maybe It's My Job....

About 10 days ago, on the way to work, a Chevy S-10 decided to make a left turn in front of me. This is the result. I have an appointment to drop my SUV at the auto body shop this coming Monday, to have the front and passenger's side entirely redone.

Today, as I was sitting on the lifeguard stand counting down the minutes 'till I could leave, another guard came in and asked "What kind of car do you drive?"

My eyes narrowed involuntarily and a suspicious tone crept out with "a navy blue Trailblazer.... whyyyyy?"

She looked sheepish and said "I thought so. I sideswiped you when I was pulling out this morning."

I can only imagine the look that crossed my face. I am absolutely horrendous at holding in my feelings. At my old job I used to have to turn around every time my boss talked to me because I was pretty sure he could read "YOU ARE AN IDIOT" scrolling across my face. But I digress. I'm fairly certain I looked a little crazed.

I said "Tell me it was the passenger's side. Please tell me it was the passenger's side."

"No. The driver's side." *look of utter dismay from me* "It's really not that bad though," she added quickly, though clearly it WAS bad enough for her to tell me. She continued to try to convince me that it was minor but it kept sounding worse and worse. "It's just a few minor scratches.... I was able to rub my paint right off your bumper.... The noise was the worst.... I think that's when my piece of trim was peeling off my car...."

"Please stop," I said. She did.

She finally offered "If it's too bad let me know and I'll pay for it."

Which, in case you're wondering, it is, and she will be. She just doesn't know it yet.

Bringing me to the title of this posting and something I may need to further consider. One of my friends keeps telling me this is a clear sign I should quit my job and stay home and answer phones remotely for his business. Heh heh. It'd save me on the car wrecks I think.

1 comment:

KStJ said...

I just think it's a bit ominous that this posting comes directly after a blog entry named "How Not to Get Hit By a Car". Hmmmm ... perhaps public transportation? ;)