Saturday, October 4, 2008

Spot-On

Welcome to my new Blog Spot! I'm excited to have a new place to blog, and plan to use it as a pre-cursor to starting my own website. This blog should help me to let my thoughts shift and settle and we'll see what eventually becomes of it. So to start with, here is a repost from my Xanga blog, just to get me started.


Every Tuesday morning for the last six weeks I have had the privilege of working with half a dozen amazing women. Each one of these ladies has her own story, her own challenges, and her own reasons for the thing that brought us together: adult swim lessons. It's difficult enough for a child to learn to swim, but an adult has so many extra obstacles in their way. For one thing, they're old enough to know what drowning is and most adult beginning swimmers are terrified of it, and consequently, of putting their face in the water, or worse yet, lifting their feet off the ground. But each of these women has had such incredible success since the beginning of class. And I find them all entirely inspirational.


Padma (in the yellow cap) and Shilpi (was absent today so not in the picture) both have conquered an overwhelming fear of putting their face in the water. Padma told me the other day that she just keeps her eyes closed (despite the goggles) so that she won't see the bottom of the pool and then she's not as afraid. They are both still struggling with their stroke, but by the time Padma left the pool today she was beginning to move forward instead of backward! They remind me that I must work hard to overcome my fear but it is worth the effort.



Nifriti (center) started a class late but caught up quickly and began swimming last week. She is confident enough to try the deep end without help, even though she's had to have a lifeguard assist to the deck twice. It doesn't bother her in the least. She just says "I'm fine... now. Thank you" and goes back to practicing! By the time she left class today she was helping Padma learn! She reminds me that 'going under' is part of learning and you take what you get and keep going. And you practice until you get it right.



Betty (far right) is fantastic. Three weeks ago she celebrated her birthday -- her 79th birthday. She said she's wanted to learn to swim for years and maybe it's time she did something for herself. We all agreed. She's had to overcome the fear of floating and she's doing so well. Before class was over today she was floating on her own! She reminds me that it is never too late to learn something new, to take on new challenges, and to change your life for the better.
Sharon (back center) is nothing but inspiring. A terrible car wreck several years ago left her with some permanent brain damage (which she told me herself, so I'm not passing on gossip.) Sharon's relearned to walk and is now relearning to swim. She told me today that she takes the water fitness classes because in the water she doesn't have to concentrate on standing up. It's a huge effort for her to coordinate her arms, her legs, and her breathing all at once. But every single time she goes under, she stands back up, puts her arms over her head, kicks back off the bottom, and swims. She reminds me a strong will is a powerful weapon and that things DO get better.


Marian (far left) has amazed everyone. She came into class unafraid of the water but unable to swim a single stroke. By the end of the first class she was swimming with the help of a noodle. She came in to practice several times during the week and one day another swimmer said to her "You're already doing everything you need to do. Why don't you just put the noodle down and try it?" So she did. And she swam half way across the pool. She is now joining other YMCA members for the regular lap swim time! AND she has been more help than I can even begin to say. She works with every other woman in class, in truth co-teaching with me. And since she just learned it herself, her methods are really far better than mine. I'm listening to her (and Nifriti) tell others what worked for them and I'm learning how to be a better swim instructor. Marian reminds me that success should be celebrated and shared. She "pays it forward" all the time.


These women all left the pool today with huge grins on their faces. They tell people I'm a great teacher, but it really isn't me at all. In fact, I feel entirely inadequate because I think they've all taught themselves. Their strength, their will, their desire is what has propelled them forward. I've just been along for the ride.


(Acknowledgments: All of the ladies gave me permission to use this pic and write about them. Special thanks to SousChefJeff for taking the photo.)

1 comment:

KStJ said...

Off to a great start!